The Department for Employment and Learning wishes to appoint three new Members to the Board of the Labour Relations Agency (LRA).
The LRA aims to be the leading organisation in Northern Ireland for improving employment relations. The LRA contributes to organisational effectiveness by providing impartial and independent services for promoting good employment practices and preventing and resolving disputes.
Through this recruitment exercise, the Department intends to appoint three Board Members for a period of three years with effect from 1 December 2014.
The vacancies are for:
- one person with an employer representative background
- one person with an employee representative background
- one person with an independent background
Remuneration is currently £5,150 per annum. Board Members will be expected to be available for at least one day per month and meetings will mainly be held in the Greater Belfast area.
ESSENTIAL CRITERIA – (All three posts)
- Good communication and influencing skills
- The ability to think strategically
- The ability to analyse information and make decisions
ESSENTIAL CRITERIA – (Employee / Employer Members)
- Experience of the practice of employment relations – from the background of an employee representative, or the background of an employer representative
- A clear understanding of current employment relations issues in Northern Ireland.
ESSENTIAL CRITERIA – (Independent Member)
- Expertise in employment law or employment relations, from one of the following perspectives: a practising lawyer, an academic, a background independent from employers or employees, or someone experienced in or a practitioner of financial planning and corporate governance
Desirable Criteria (All three posts)
- Appreciation of the use of Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Capacity to relate the role of the LRA to an economy emerging from recession
DEL Public Appointments Unit is managing the application process. An application pack with full details may be obtained from:
By writing to:Public Appointments Unit
Department for Employment and Learning
39 – 49 Adelaide Street
Or by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by telephoning: 028 9025 7839
Or by textphone: 028 9025 7410
Please note that applicants may only apply for one of the three vacancies. It is anticipated that interviews will be held in the week commencing 29 September 2014.
Application forms should be completed and returned to the above address by 5.00pm on 1 August 2014. Late applications will not be accepted.
Equality of Opportunity
The Department for Employment and Learning is committed to the principles of public appointments based on merit with independent assessment, openness and transparency of process. The Department is committed to providing equality of opportunity for all individuals. The Department welcomes applications from all sections of society and would particularly welcome applications from those from a Catholic background; individuals with a disability and those from an ethnic minority background, as these sections are currently under-represented on the Board of the LRA.