Regional Development Minister Danny Kennedy has appointed two Non-Executive Members to the Board of Warrenpoint Harbour Authority, which is responsible for operating, maintaining and improving Warrenpoint Port.
The appointments take effect from 1 April 2015 for four years and will run to 31 March 2019.
The Minister has reappointed Alan Stephens to serve a second term. He has been a Non Executive Member of Warrenpoint Harbour Authority since October 2010. Trevor Haslett CBE has been appointed for a first term.
Minister Kennedy said: “I am very pleased to announce these appointments today. I am confident that the mix of experience and new perspectives which these Non-Executive Members will bring to the Board will add tremendous value to the work of the Authority and facilitate the continued efficient and effective development of the port in the years ahead.
“Warrenpoint Harbour is one of Northern Ireland’s main commercial ports. Trevor Haslett’s understanding of industrial, commercial and financial matters will add impetus to the strategic development of the port. Alan Stephens will continue to provide the Authority with sterling advice on sales, marketing and general business issues.”
The Minister also paid tribute to the outgoing Board Member Brian Reid, saying: “I would also like to thank Brian for his dedication and commitment. He has made a valuable contribution to Warrenpoint Harbour Authority during his tenure. It is now the second port in Northern Ireland in terms of general cargo.”
The appointments have been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland Code of Practice.
Notes to editors:
1. Warrenpoint Harbour Authority is a corporate body, having perpetual succession and was first constituted by the Warrenpoint Harbour Authority Order (Northern Ireland) 1971. Its constitution is now enshrined in the Warrenpoint Harbour Authority Order (Northern Ireland) 2002. Warrenpoint Harbour Authority Orders of 1971 and 2002 conferred powers on the Authority to preserve, improve and manage the Port of Warrenpoint. The Authority also has the power to construct and maintain specific works, to levy dues, to deal with abandoned vessels and to make bylaws.
2. The Harbour Authority Board currently has a membership of a Chair, a Chief Executive and Finance Officer, and seven Non-Executive Directors, including three councillors from Newry and Mourne District Council. The Non-Executive Directors currently receive remuneration of £7,117 per annum.
3. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Both Alan Stephens and Trevor Haslett have declared that they are not involved in any political activities.
4. Alan Stephens has served on Warrenpoint Harbour Authority since October 2010 and receives remuneration of £7,117per annum. He has worked in the food industry and has experience in sales, marketing and change management. He was managing director of Premier Bakeries Ireland and President of the Irish Masters Bakers Association for two years. He does not hold any other public appointments.
5. Trevor Haslett, CBE, was Chief Executive of NI Water from 2011 – 2013 and has worked in both the public and private sectors where he gained knowledge of local industrial, commercial and financial matters. He is currently involved in the business development of a number of local companies to help them secure opportunities outside Northern Ireland. He does not hold any other public appointments.