Minister Carál Ní Chuilín has announced the appointment of Ms Elaine Sperber as the new Vice-Chair of NI Screen and Professor Greg Maguire as Board Member after an open competition.
They have been appointed with effect from 1 July 2015 until 31 December 2018.
Welcoming the appointments, the Minister said: “I am pleased to make these appointments as both Elaine Sperber and Greg Maguire will bring excellent skills and experience. Their contribution will allow NI Screen to maximise its impact within the local, national and international screen industry, while ensuring that opportunities are created for all, including those who are socially disadvantaged.”
1. NI Screen is a Company Limited by Guarantee and registered under the Companies (NI) Order 1986.
NI Screen’s main areas of activities are:
· film development and production funding
· production logistic support
· marketing to promote the local area as a base for production
· company development support initiatives for local companies
· skills development/training for the industry
· information services for producers and others
· moving image education policy development
· developing access to audio-visual heritage
· specialist film exhibition development
2. The Vice-Chair position attracts remuneration of £3,500 per annum, plus travel and subsistence allowances in line with Civil Service rates. This post will require a commitment of at least 10 days per year.
3. The Member position is unremunerated but receives travel and subsistence allowances in line with Civil Service rates. It requires a commitment of up to eight days per year.
4. The appointments have been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments Code of Practice.
5. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments requires the political activity of appointees to be published.
6. Biographical details of appointees:
Ms Elaine Sperber
Ms Sperber is currently Executive Producer for Zodiak Kids Studios. She was previously Head of Drama at CBBC, where she championed the value and importance of scripted drama and comedy for children. During her career, she has won five BAFTA Awards, three Royal Television Society Awards and an International Emmy for children’s drama, and has Executive Produced over 60 series. Previously she was Vice President of Production at HBO Pictures in the US. Ms Sperber brings a wide set of communication, management and production skills to NI Screen, including a commitment to innovative digital technologies in story-telling. She holds no other public appointments and has had no political activity in the last five years.
Professor Greg Maguire
Professor Maguire is Professor of Animation and Chair of the Animation Programme at Ulster University. He has co-founded Inlifesize Ltd, a smartphone gaming app design company, and Zoogloo LLC, which provided technical direction services to film studios. Professor Maguire brings skills and experience relating to equality and social inclusion, and digital content / technologies. He holds no other public appointments and has had no political activity in the last five years.