The Livestock and Meat Commission for Northern Ireland (LMC) plays an important role in the development of the livestock (cattle and sheep) and related products industry. It provides a range of services to producers and meat traders, including market intelligence, promotional activities and administration of the Farm Quality Assurance Scheme.
In the period ahead the LMC will also work along with other stakeholders to help deliver agreed actions flowing from the Agri-Food Strategy Board’s ‘Going for Growth’ report, including related plans to establish an industry-led agri-food marketing body.
Are you interested? The Department is seeking to appoint an independent LMC Chair and a LMC Board Member from 7 November 2015. Please note that whilst this is a re-run of the competition announced in April 2015 to appoint a new LMC Chair, the competition to appoint a LMC Board Member with specific livestock processing experience is new.
Applications for these positions are invited from candidates who can demonstrate both on the application form and, if invited for interview, that they can bring the following skills, experience and knowledge to the work which the LMC does –
1. Criteria for LMC Chair (Application Form LMC1)
• A minimum of 3 years experience of the livestock production industry and/or livestock processing industry:
• A minimum of 3 years experience of marketing or public relations;
• strategic thinking;
• leadership and managing change at board level;
• evidence of working collaboratively with stakeholders to achieve a common goal;
• financial planning and management;
• corporate governance and accountability;
• ability to communicate information effectively to influence others to achieve agreed objectives and to deal with the media.
The time commitment for the LMC Chair is normally about 4 days per month and the remuneration is £17,315 per year. Also, the Chair must not have had any commercial interests in the production of livestock or processing livestock products since 1 April 2015.
2. Criteria for LMC Board Member (Application Form LMC 2)
• A proven track record of success in the red meat processing industry;
• marketing experience within key domestic, external and export markets for livestock products;
• strategic thinking and experience of contributing to the future direction of an organisation;
• evidence of working collaboratively with others to achieve a common goal;
• experience of corporate governance and accountability;
• ability to communicate information effectively to influence others to achieve agreed objectives.
The time commitment for LMC Board Members is about 30 days per year (2-3 days per month) and the remuneration is £6,485 per year.
All appointees are entitled to travel and other expenses incurred on LMC business plus reasonable expenses incurred in relation to the care of dependants and costs associated with disabilities.
More information about this competition and about public appointments in general is available from the NI Direct website: www.nidirect.gov.uk/public-appointment-vacancies. An application form can also be downloaded from this website. You can also obtain an Information Pack and application form (which can be made available in alternative formats) by writing to Michele Quinn, DARD Food Policy Branch, Room 142 Dundonald House, Belfast BT4 3SB. She may also be contacted by telephone: 028 9052 4616 or making a call from a text phone dial 18001+ number or email (email@example.com).
The closing time and date for receipt of application forms is 1600 hours on Thursday 3rd September 2015