The First Minister, the Rt. Hon. Peter D. Robinson MLA, and the deputy First Minister, Martin McGuinness MLA have announced the appointment of Ms Judena Leslie as Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland.
Welcoming the appointment the First Minister Peter Robinson said: “We are pleased to announce the appointment of Judena Leslie as the new Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland.
“We are confident that Judena will bring a strong commitment to public values along with a considerable range of experience to her role as Commissioner.
“We wish her well in her post and look forward to working closely with her in the coming months and years.”
The deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness said: “The appointment of Judena Leslie to this role will ensure the public appointments process continues to be rigorous and fair. We recognise the valuable contribution those appointed to public positions make to directing and managing the range of services government provides.
“We are confident in her new role, Judena will continue the work already begun with OFMDFM and other departments to raise awareness and encourage more people to consider how they might bring their talents, experience and skills to these important roles so we can increase the diversity in public appointments.”
The appointment term is five years, commencing on 1 September 2015.
1. Ms Judena Leslie is a lawyer and was the founding CEO and Accounting Officer of Northern Ireland’s first Law Commission. Judena has 19 years leadership experience at senior management level within the Civil Service and public sector.
2. She holds a number of public appointments and is currently a Member of the NI Public Health Agency, and Deputy Chair of both the Consumer Council NI, and the Council for Nature Conservation and the Countryside; positions from which she will be standing down.
3. The Commissioner is appointed for 75 days per annum attracting remuneration of £23,877 per annum.
4. The Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland is a statutory office holder appointed by the First Minister and deputy First Minister under the provisions of the Commissioner for Public Appointments (Northern Ireland) Order 1995. The independent post was established following the First Report of the Committee on Standards in Public Life
5. The Commissioner regulates monitors and reports on a wide range of Ministerial appointments to the Boards of public bodies in Northern Ireland.
6. Political activity plays no part in the selection process and Ms Judena Leslie has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
7. Ms Judena Leslie is the fifth individual to hold the post of Commissioner.
8. OFMDFM holds sponsorship responsibility for the Commissioner’s office.