The National Heritage Memorial Fund (NHMF)
The National Heritage Memorial Fund (NHMF) is the fund of last resort for the nation’s heritage, coming to the rescue by funding emergency acquisitions. NHMF receives grant in aid from DCMS and has a grants budget of £5m for 2015/2016. It is unique in its ability to save a wide range of heritage treasures and masterpieces from trains to paintings, sculptures, wildlife havens and manuscripts. In 1994, the NHMF Trustees were given the major task of distributing the heritage share of Lottery money for good causes, which it now operates through the Heritage Lottery Fund.
The Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF)
HLF distributes a share of the money raised by the National Lottery for Good Causes. HLF was set up by Parliament in 1994 to give grants to a wide range of projects involving the local, regional and national heritage of the United Kingdom.
HLF is the largest dedicated funder of heritage in the UK and the leading advocate for the value of heritage. HLF enables communities to celebrate, look after and learn more about the UK’s diverse heritage. HLF funds the entire spread of heritage – including buildings, museums, natural heritage and the heritage of cultural traditions and language.
Since 1994 HLF has awarded £6.8 billion to over 39,000 projects across England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland, helping open up our heritage for everyone to enjoy.
In 2015-16 we will commit around £430m to new heritage projects.
The role of the Trustee for Northern Ireland
The Trustee for Northern Ireland presents an exciting and challenging opportunity for an individual with a strong commitment to, and enthusiasm for Northern Ireland and rest of the UK’s diverse heritage. It is an opportunity to make a lasting contribution. In addition to the responsibilities common to all trustees, the Trustee for Northern Ireland is:
- a Deputy Chair of the Board along with the Trustees for Scotland and for Wales.
- the Chair of the Committee for Northern Ireland and has particular responsibility for representing NHMF/HLF in Northern Ireland and for representing the interest of Northern Ireland at the Board. The successful appointee will be required to actively engage with stakeholders in the heritage and cultural sectors in Northern Ireland and with the Northern Ireland Assembly.
The post offers remuneration of £20,749 per year
Closing date: 01st April 2016
Candidates will be able to demonstrate:
- A broad appreciation of the heritage of Northern Ireland together with a commitment to the aims and objectives of NHMF and HLF across Northern Ireland and Great Britain
- A commitment to enabling public understanding and enjoyment of heritage for the widest possible audience
- An understanding of the policy and legislative environment within which Lottery bodies operate, in Northern Ireland and Great Britain
- A track record of achievement including evidence of leadership; and enabling consensual decision-making
- An ability to think strategically and analytically about the deployment of the Funds’ grants
- Strong communication skills
- An understanding of and commitment to the importance of Section 75 legislation in driving the equality agenda, building a united community and tackling exclusion and poverty in the North of Ireland.
Please visit http://www.nhmf.org.uk and www.hlf.org.uk to further understand the work of the Funds. Please also refer to the full HLF Trustee for Northern Ireland pack, attached, for further information about the role.
How to Apply
Applications are welcomed from individuals from black, Asian and minority ethnic communities,
disabled people and individuals across all age groups.
To apply please send the following:
- a CV of no more than three A4 sides; and
- a supporting statement of no more than two A4 sides, describing how you meet the person specification for the role; and
- a conflicts of interest form, political activity monitoring form and personal details monitoring.
Please send your completed application and monitoring forms via email to: email@example.com
If you are not able to submit your application electronically, or if you have any queries, please contact the Secretary to the Board, at Heritage Lottery Fund on 020 7591 6015 via
firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
|HLF Trustee for Northern Ireland pack|