The Charity Commission for Northern Ireland is creating a list of approved trustees who can be called on to provide assistance in a charity either on a short or long term basis – and is looking for interested parties to apply.
Under the Charities Act (Northern Ireland) 2008, the Commission has the power to appoint trustees to a charity where it is satisfied there is, or has been:
- misconduct or mismanagement in the administration of a charity
- or it is necessary or desirable to act for the purpose of protecting the property of a charity or for its proper administration.
The Commission may also appoint a person to be a charity trustee where, for example:
- there are no charity trustees
- there is a single charity trustee and a need to appoint others for the proper administration of the charity.
To support the Commission in creating a list of approved trustees, the Commission is calling for applicants to contact them with expressions of interest. Applicants are encouraged from all areas of experience; however, previous experience at Board level would be advantageous.
Interested parties are invited to submit the following information to the Commission.
- A CV of no more than three A4 sides.
- A supporting statement of no more than one A4 side describing your suitability for the role.
- A conflicts of interest declaration
For a briefing sheet on the legal requirements and guidance on conflicts of interest, please contact the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland, 257 Lough Road, Lurgan, BT66 6NQ. Tel: 028 3832 0220. Email: email@example.com.
An order to appoint a trustee does not constitute a contract between the Commission (or the charity) and the trustee, nor does it create a legal right to remuneration.
Canvassing in any form will disqualify.
The Charity Commission for Northern Ireland is committed to equality. Expressions of interest are welcome from all eligible persons regardless religious belief, gender, disability, race, political opinion, age, marital status, sexual orientation or whether or not they have dependants.