Mid and East Antrim Borough Council is seeking to appointment a Chair of the Mid and East Antrim Manufacturing Task Force (‘the Task Force’).
The Task Force is intended to address proactively the effects of the announced closures of JTI Gallaher and Michelin at Ballymena, and the impact these closures will have on the local economy and affected workers. It will be responsible for bringing together key stakeholders to help define a bold and new agenda for action as Mid and East Antrim looks to rebalance itself economically, and provide a strong platform for economic growth and job creation. Aligned to local circumstances, the Task Force will operate with a similar modus operandi to that of other past task force initiatives which have sought to help parts of the UK respond to economic shocks.
The Chair of the Manufacturing Task Force will have responsibility for ensuring the strategic direction of the Task Force over its expected lifespan (18 months) and overseeing the production of its anticipated outputs. The Chair will lead and oversee the involvement of all Task Force members, and will be responsible for the delivery of key objectives.
This will be a remunerated position and is anticipated to operate for 18 months.
Applicants should possess the following key skills and attributes:
- Significant senior executive level experience.
- Clear and proven experience in, and understanding of, economic development.
- Proven strategic leadership experience and the ability to operate at senior political and executive levels.
- Strong understanding of European, UK and Northern Ireland industrial, enterprise and innovation policies, and how these can be applied to Mid and East Antrim’s economy.
- Understanding of governance, compliance and control requirements and policy settings.
- Strong personal contacts and economic development networks across various sectors in NI, GB and ROI.