Dementia NI is seeking to recruit volunteer board members to a unique Board of Trustees, with people with dementia holding positions. The charity is looking for individuals who are passionate about ensuring people with dementia have their voices heard.
The charity is looking for individuals who are passionate about ensuring people with dementia have their voices heard on all matters that affect them; and can bring knowledge and skills in particular in the following areas:
- Business/corporate background
A full induction will be given and ongoing training will be offered. There are no prerequisite qualifications. Prior experience on a board is not necessary, but is preferred.
We particularly welcome people who are living with a diagnosis of dementia.
Description of duties
The Board of Trustees are collectively responsible for:
- setting the strategic aims and objectives of the organisation
- shaping and determining the organisation’s policies and policy direction in order to ensure it fulfils its charitable objects
- ensuring accountability to Dementia NI members and key stakeholders
- delivering good governance and ensuring compliance with all legal requirements and financial regulations in accordance with Charity and Company Law
Approx. Time Commitment:
The Board of Trustees currently meets every two months for approximately 1 ½ hours on a Tuesday evening from 5.30pm. Location of meetings vary due to the attendance of people with dementia and meeting their needs.
There is a Finance & Operations sub-committee which meets prior to board meetings and a small number of board members attend with the Company Secretary.
Board members are occasionally required to support the operational work of the charity outside these meetings, such as assisting with staff recruitment.
Due to the nature of our work, all board appointments will be subject to an Enhanced Access NI disclosure.