The Department of Education (DE) invites applications for school governor positions.
The role of the Board of Governors is to manage the school with a view to providing the best possible education and educational opportunities for all of the pupils.
- remuneration: none
- period of appointment: up to four years
- time commitment: varies depending on school requirements
- regulated by CPA NI: no
Governors have a wide range of managerial responsibilities and play a central role in the planning, development, monitoring and evaluation of all aspects of school life.
“The role of the Board of Governors is to manage the school with a view to providing the best possible education and educational opportunities for all of the pupils. This involves:
- setting the strategic direction for the school;
- taking corporate decisions in relation to the statutory functions of the board of governors”
The role of the governor, together with the principal and the staff of the school is to contribute to the process of school improvement. It is important that governors are aware of this role and can fulfil this role by:
- becoming more knowledgeable about the school and the education system within Northern Ireland;
- attending properly convened meetings and being prepared for meetings by reading reports and documents relating to school improvement;
- being aware of and becoming familiar with procedures and guidelines which have been developed on various school issues such as appointments of staff, health and safety and child protection and safeguarding issues;
- having a knowledge and understanding of the vision for the school through the school’s development plan and the financial plan;
- having a good working relationship with the principal, staff, parents, pupils and fellow governors.
The skills, experience and attributes that governors gain and develop in their working lives are an invaluable asset to the responsibilities undertaken as school governors.
You can find out more, including how to apply, at the link below.
Closing date for applications – applications are welcome at any time.